Your LinkedIn profile is your personal website into what you do, why you do it and how you can help your potential prospects and clients.
Sharing relevant information with your audience is a fantastic way to build your personal brand, your industry status and position you as a subject matter expert.
You can share your thoughts, articles or other content-rich websites with your audience from several places. This is referred to as posting a status update.
Step-by-step instructions for Posting to LinkedIn:
1. Log into your LinkedIn profile
- Click into the "Share an Update" text box (top of page)
- Type your remark
- 600 character limit
2. Attach the link to the article
- To share an article, simply type in the URL
- Allow a few seconds for the article image and description to show up
- Or copy-and-paste a URL into the share and update space
3. Select an option under "Share with”
- Select LinkedIn to show the update to everyone in your extended network, including your 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree connections (recommended)
- Select connections to show the update to only your 1st degree connections.
- Select LinkedIn + Twitter to have your update visible both on your LinkedIn and Twitter accounts.
- (NOTE: Only the first 140 characters will be visible on Twitter. You can manage your Twitter settings from the Profile section of your Settings page.)
- If you have a twitter profile, selecting LinkedIn + Twitter is a great way to broadcast your information to multiple social platforms.
- Finally, after selecting who you want to share with, click the "Share" button to make it official.
An update will remain visible at the top of your Profile and in your Activity module until it is replaced by a more recent update or until you delete it. You can select who can see your Activity Feed, which shows your recent updates, in the right panel of your profile.
Top reasons to share a post and relevant information:
- Exposure. Once posted, a message goes out to your connections and followers stating that you posted an article they might be interested in reading, which helps you gain more exposure.
- Opportunity. You are getting an opportunity to show your connections and your knowledge, as well as build your personal brand.
- Reach. Anyone can follow you and receive updates whenever you post a new article, allowing you to expand your reach.
- Awareness. Once posted, your articles show up on your profile page, becoming part of your professional profile. You are now building top of mind awareness.
People can like, comment and share your post. Just like other social media platforms, the more positive the interactions, the more you will stand out as someone to know and to be followed.